Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, February 11, 2020
Present: Norinne D. (Chair), Jodi L., Rachel F., James F. (Staff Rep), Jocelyn T., Andrew K., Laura H., Vanessa E., Linda H.
- Welcome and introductions around the table.
2. Approval of the Minutes
- Jocelyn moved that the January 14, 2020 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
3. Approval of the Agenda
- Jodi moved that the February 11, 2020 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Linda. Approved and carried.
4. 1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Norinne D./Jodi L.)
- Pictures were shown of the items purchased from the wish list – tables for the cafeteria and the viola.
- Older cafeteria tables were donated to Camp Koinonia.
4. 2 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
- Report under fruit fundraiser
4. 3 Staff Representative report (James F.)
- One-Act plays worked well this year with similar themes throughout the plays.
- Report cards – Grade 9-12 have access to view their own report cards. Some trouble viewing on their phones – company is looking into this.
- Staff retreat (Feb 12-14)– making teaching visible.
- Grade 5 & 6 day went well; open house on Sunday drew largest crowd. Natural light during the day made the school look/feel great. Academic sessions, music session, vocal jazz touring around.
- Feedback – Westgate felt homey, natural light, beautiful, liked Bob’s message in the introduction. Someone who was non-Mennonite said it put them at ease.
- Parents joining Westgate from outside the Mennonite community are wondering if there was a session or some way to learn more about the Mennonite heritage.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Grade Events
- Grade 6 – update – 25 out of 29 families attended Across the Board.
- Grade 7 – Zoe R. – February 21 – Flying Squirrel – 5-8pm.
- Grade 8 – games night March 17 in cafeteria – 7-9pm. Popcorn and candy bar.
- Grade 10 – April
- Grade 11 – May
5.2 Fruit Fundraiser
- Online orders roughly $6300
- Last year in total ~ $7000 – so looks like we will be above last year’s total.
- Order 3 cases oranges; 2 cases of grapefruit – extra cases to replace spoiled fruit.
5.3 Staff appreciation (Jocelyn T.)
- Theme – lunch menus from around the world.
- Will combine classes by day depending on class size.
- James will put on Westgate calendar so all is reminded – staff and parents.
- Emails asking for donations will go out two weeks before spring break. Many reminders will go out since this week happens right after spring break.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business – no new items to discuss
- Meeting adjourned at 8:30pm.
- Next meeting: March 11 – 7:30pm @ Westgate.