Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., James F. (Staff Rep), Rachel F., Mardina A., Chris Z., Tara M., Richard G., Deb G.
- Welcome and introductions around the table.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
- Jodi moved that the January 9, 2018 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Mardina. Approved and carried.
- To be noted – We received twice as many tables for the science/art labs because of the damage to one of the loads.
3.0 Approval of the Agenda
- Jodi moved that the February 13, 2018 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Mardina. Approved and carried.
- Will move fundraiser discussion to the top of agenda.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Next fundraiser – Mardina A. and Richard G.
- Subway cookie dough; 36 frozen pucks, $6.80 – profit – $17
- Muffins (15) – heat and serve – $8.00/tray – profit – $20
- Richard will enter orders into a spreadsheet; he’ll meet the truck and sort the orders the day of pick-up.
- 3 weeks from order to delivery. 6 weeks total
- Share in the cost of incentives – scholarships (with the card), or draws.
- Committee agreed to go ahead with this fundraiser.
- Heidi, Mardina & James will decide on dates.
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
- Minutes/constitution on website.
4.2 Secretary – no report
4.3 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
- No report
4.4 Staff Representative report – James F.
- Two open houses – grade 5 & grade 6 day – good response. Lots of good questions.
- Open house for the community – roughly 10 people attended. Many were interested in sending their kids to Westgate.
- Google for Education – piloting with all grades – gmail with westgatemennonite.org
- Parents should have access to see grades
- Lisa Martin & James Friesen going to Saskatoon in February for conference
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Update on Grade Events
- Grade 9 event January 8 – sunny day; 50 people; bonfire; some parents dropped off kids. Perhaps make it clear that parents & kids should stay; event for both parents and kids to connect. Community building.
- Grade 12 event February 25 – booked the Westgate gym. Seven families signed up. Response low so far.
- Do not be discouraged with low turnout being it is the first year of this initiative.
- Grade 8 event – March 11th – booked Across the Board restaurant
- Grade 7 event – April
- Has been put on P.A. website for review.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Staff appreciation – Tara M. and Trish W.
- Spread out over 4 weeks – starting Feb 28th
- Won’t overwhelm parents with kids in multiple grades.
- Theme – wellness for the staff
- Grade reps – will receive email asking for food donations & volunteers to help set up/clean up.
6.3 Staff wish lists
- Will seek requests between now and March meeting.
- Go back to the people we partially funded in fall – they will need to resubmit their request.
- Do not have all pictures from the fall wish list. James will take pictures of items so we can place on the website.
- Meeting adjourned at 7:47pm.
- Next meeting: Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 – 7pm @ Westgate.