Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
Present: Norinne D. (Chair), Jodi L., Rachel F., James F. (Staff Rep), Jocelyn T., Andrew K., Linda T., Marnie H., Laura H.
- Welcome and introductions around the table.
- Approval of the Minutes
- Jocelyn moved that the November 12, 2019 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
- Approval of the Agenda
- Jodi moved that the January 14, 2020 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Jocelyn. Approved and carried.
- Chair/Vice Chair Report (Norinne D./Jodi L.)
- April 14 – will not be able to attend the meeting – may change date? Might be the month for the wish lists.
- Treasurer Report
- No Report
- Staff Representative report (James F.)
- Week of Jan 21st – exams grade 9-12.
- One act plays – January 30 & 31.
- Open house & Grade 5/6 day coming up; open house will be an afternoon on a Sunday as opposed to an evening.
- Please encourage perspective parents to take part on the shadow days as this is a good opportunity for new kids to experience Westgate.
- Staff retreat in February – Hecla Island.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Grade Events
- Grade 6 – January – Trina A. (new grade rep) – January 26th – 5-8pm – Across the Board
- Grade 7 – February – Zoe R. – February 21 – Flying Squirrel – 5-8pm
5.2 Staff wish lists
- Looking at changing our criteria – things wished for will enhance student experience.
- Computer mice (rechargeable) – $470 – funding not needed since junior council funded this request.
- Staff will purchase items; submit to Tracey; Tracey then submits to PA.
- New letter/request form will be sent to staff for next wish lists – needs to be reviewed by executive before sending.
- Rachel to compile wishlists requests from past 3 years so we can look at trends.
5.3 Gift card fundraiser
- Full report to come next meeting – Sobey’s numbers look to be down from last year.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Fruit fundraiser
- Executive will discuss dates and see who can be brought on board to help with fundraiser – currently there is no volunteer(s) to work on this fundraiser.
- Rachel will contact Bart Boon regarding price for fruit this year.
6.2 Westgate PA Facebook page
- Another parent asked why we don’t have our own page – We think we have enough exposure via Alexis.
6.3 Staff Appreciation – Jocelyn T.
- Week of lunches – April 6-9 (leading up to Easter).
- Will work with Lori to figure out class sizes when combining classes.
- Google Forms – interactive sign up sheet.
- Will send out form by grade; will include grade rep.
6.4 Parent Spreadsheet Information
- Teachers looking for expertise for their classrooms; Parents looking for expertise within the Westgate community – would rather use someone associated with Westgate. Within Westgate ‘yellowpages’; free advertising for your business.
- Send out Google form in September & February – similar to how student address lists are sent out in September.
- Form will need to be revised to include businesses only; will not include volunteer/interests/hobbies option.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:40pm.
- Next meeting: February 11 – 7:30pm @ Westgate.