Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., Rachel F., Andrew K., James F. (Staff Rep), Mardina A., Jocelyn T.
_______________________________________________________________________

1.0 Welcome
• Welcome and introductions around the table.

2.0 Approval of the Minutes
• Jodi moved that the November 14, 2018 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Andrew. Approved and carried.

3.0 Approval of the Agenda
• Jodi moved that the January 16, 2019 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Andrew. Approved and carried.

4.0 Reports
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
• No report.

4.2 Treasurer Report
• Everything is good. See Sobey’s/Co-op report below.

4.3 Staff Representative report – James F.
• Musical moved to December for the first time.
• Exams next week – added stress around the school.
• Open house tomorrow; grade 5 & 6 day coming.
• Focus for administration are enrollment numbers for next year.
• Leaving March 4th for Middle East trip; Bob will join the meeting in March.

5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Grade Events
• Grade 9 event (Nov) – no report
• Grade 6 – Colleen K. – snow maze
• Grade 7 – February – skating/sledding party
• Next year – could combine grade 6/7 events

5.2 Report – Sobeys/Co-op Fundraiser
• $2640 – profit – double of what we have raised in previous years.
• Total sold was $39000. Approximately $32000 sold for Sobeys gift cards; $7000 Coop. (Previous years the total for Sobey’s was around $20000-$24000.)
• Several large orders contributed to the amount.
• Reminder for next year – mention that gift cards could be used for corporate gifts.
• Reminder for next year – mention in September that this fundraiser will be coming in November for delivery before Christmas.
• Reminder for next year – Canada post strike delayed the cards right before pick-up – build in more days between delivery and pick-ups.

6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Fruit and Cheese Fundraiser
• Heidi in contact with fruit supplier – oranges (fancy) – $27.25; $21.50 (grapefruit).
• 2nd or 2rd week of February; peak of the season. Need order one week in advance.
• Need to contact Bothwell regarding prices.
• Send out email tomorrow to Lori to see if she has any ideas for an organizer for this fundraiser; may send email to all parents.
• Send forms out before an organizer in place. Have a form ready for January 25th and include in weekly update.
• Forms due February 14th; hard deadline February 19th.
• Deliveries February 26th.

6.2 Staff Appreciation – Jocelyn
• Either week of April 15-18 or April 22-26 – will discuss with staff.
• “Everything is Awesome” – like Lego – will have food assembly stations.
• 11:45 (before lunch) – and then leave the food available throughout the afternoon since staff’s schedules are different.
• Grade 12 (historically) have given money to buy lunch. This year the Grade 12 class will provide money for pictures for staff room. Need to discuss with Karina – based on her wish-list request from November.
• May combine classes based on class size.

6.3 Westgate App or FB Discussion Group
• Staff member went to session on making apps. Not something they would like to be involved in.
• There will be more calendars next year to link up with.
• App more about connecting professions in Westgate community.
• Google Doc – spreadsheet – where Westgate community could share their information (professional); for networking. For viewing only.
• PA secretary would be responsible for entering and maintaining document.
• This would create community – current families & alumni.
• Heidi and Rachel will put template together to present at the next meeting.

7.0 Adjournment
• Meeting adjourned at 7:53pm.
• Next meeting: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 – 7pm @ Westgate