Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., James F. (Staff Rep), Rachel F., Andrew K., Mardina A., Susan C., Trina N., Deb G., Noreen D., Deanna P.
_______________________________________________________________________

1.0 Welcome
• Welcome and introductions around the table.

2.0 Approval of the Minutes
• Jodi moved that the November 8, 2017 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Trina. Approved and carried.
o All wish list items were approved by consensus.

3.0 Approval of the Agenda
• Jodi moved that the January 9, 2018 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Rachel. Approved and carried.

4.0 Reports

4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
• Heidi now has website access and has been uploading the minutes & other information. Will continue to work on the look and feel of the website throughout the year
• Christmas party was a great time – looking forward to next year’s gathering.

4.2 Secretary – no report

4.3 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
• Crosstown signing authority – a few last signatures needed. Will be finalized by end of January.

4.4 Staff Representative report – James F.
• Checked into the lighting in the parking lot – timer has been reset. PA members commented that they have noticed a difference. Keep in mind that we do not want the lights shining into people’s homes hence the current placement of the lighting.
• Wednesday, January 17th – open house for community to see new building.
• Wish lists – received some pictures which will posted on the PA website. Teachers and students are very thankful.
• Tables for science/art room – more than expected – price was lower and some were damaged in delivery.
• PA member commented that JV girls/boys should ask for new basketball uniforms when the next round of wish lists come out.
• Lounge furniture in place; furniture committee working on quotes. AV still finishing up projectors and lights. Temperature has been fixed.
• Google for Education account is currently being set up. Students will also have access.

5.0 Ongoing Business

5.1 Update on Grade Events
• Grade 9 event January 28
• Grade 12 – February – likely a Sunday afternoon @ Westgate with open gym.
• Grade 8 – March – thinking of a few options, but nothing finalized
• Can use Westgate – contact James to find out what dates are available.
• PA will supply drinks & paper products

5.2 Sobey’s Fundraiser – final report
• Down $2000-3000 from last year; made $1800 this year.
• Perogy and sausage profit was down as well.
• Some thoughts discussed around the table:
o Fatigue in the fundraisers? Or are there different church volunteers?
o Building project may be cutting into people’s willingness to support fundraisers.
o Perogies & Sobeys run close together.

5.3 Constitution Review
• Two years ago started to look into the constitution; last year on hold given the move to Chapman location.
• Need to revisit the constitution review because PA changing direction. Currently don’t have a document to back up the committee and policy
• Initial constitution review already done.
• Heidi will send out email asking for volunteers to help read it over, proofread, help craft the next version – hope to appeal to someone looking to help but cannot commit to a large project.

6.0 Upcoming and New Business

6.1 Fruit and Cheese Fundraiser – Deanna
• Fruit costs have gone up $12 box – given to us at cost. Last year’s fruit quality was good – year before had lots of rotten fruit.
• Fruit – majority of profit vs cheese sales. Fruit is also largest fundraiser of the three fundraisers PA runs.
• Deanna was at a board meeting with Bob and she is under the impression that he would like to see it dropped. Particularly with donations needed for the capital campaign.
• Momentum made $6000 – September 2017.
• PA can only run 3 fundraisers per year.
• We are going to explore using Momentum Fundraising – perhaps cookie dough. Mardina will report in the February meeting what options are available.
• Motion to not go ahead with Fruit & Cheese fundraiser in 2018 due to higher prices; agreed by consensus.

6.2 Spring Workshop
• Last few have been poorly attended; will not have a workshop this spring.
• We are also doing grade/community events.
• Will review at the end of the school year – perhaps have one workshop in April – between basketball & ultimate.

6.3 Dates of remaining meetings
• Tuesday, February 13
• Wednesday, March 14 – wish lists reviewed
• Tuesday, April 10
• Wednesday, May 9
• Tuesday, June 5 (AGM)

7.0 Adjournment
• Meeting adjourned at 7:58pm.
• Next meeting: Tuesday, February 13th, 2018 – 7pm @ Westgate.