Westgate Parent Association – Annual General Meeting
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Westgate Mennonite Collegiate
Heidi G., Jodi L., James F. (Staff Rep), Rachel F., Andrew K., Gord S., Jocelyn T., Mardina A., Tara M.
1.0 Welcome – Heidi welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
- Andrew moved that the September 13, 2017 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
- Approval of the Agenda
- Jodi moved that the June 5, 2018 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Rachel. Approved and carried.
Staff Rep – James F.
- Wish lists requests have been purchased – uniforms, Chromebooks etc – pictures will be coming.
- org – new domain name – trial with Google classroom using ‘org’. Given that all are set up with this new name, easier to keep. Switch will be made at end of June.
- Regarding Google Classroom – Teachers will continue to have students write & take notes in class – not all assignments/tests will be online.
- 305; 325; 323
- Total enrollment for 2018/19 = 317. Breakdown by grade:
- Grade 6: 14
- Grade 7: 32
- Grade 8: 43
- Grade 9: 59
- Grade 10: 50
- Grade 11: 57
- Grade 12: 62
- Crystal T. returning in September; Lisa M. accepted drama position at SJR.
Financial – Andrew K.
- Current balance – $10542
- Paid $15247 -wish lists
- Wish lists haven’t all been paid for – James will look into these items– standing desks, Chromebooks (invoice coming), Heidi R. – office chair, book tree (Karina) = $4500.
- Fundraising is down because of change from fruit/cheese to cookie dough – different people buy cookie dough vs fruit. Will go back to fruit/cheese next year.
- Maintain $5000-10000 in bank account to pay for fall fundraiser.
- Strong grad fundraisers this year – may have taken away from fundraisers this year? Parent groups “fighting” against each other; same funds. WorkDay also did not raise as much as in previous years.
- Perogies and Sausage – fall 2018 – Jason G./Miranda C.
- Sobeys – Vanessa F.
- Spring fundraiser – Fruit and Cheese – need volunteer
5.0 Beginning of next school year – confirm P.A. events and dates
- Opening program – Sept 28
- Make sure room is booked along with the sanctuary
- Bethel prepares coffee
- Uniform sale – ??
- New family dinner – Sept 25
- Open house/meet the teacher – Sept 25
- PAC – Sept 19; alternate Tuesday/Wednesday throughout the year
- Christmas party – TBD
- Grade Parties & Reps
- Grade 6 – January – TBD
- Grade 7 – February – Susan F.
- Grade 8 – March – TBD
- Grade 9 – Fall – November – Gord S.
- Grade 10 – April – TBD
- Grade 11 – May – Tara B.
- Grade 12 – Fall October – Mardina A.
- Staff appreciate – 6 weeks leading up to spring break
6.0 Election of Executive
- The Executive Slate being presented is as follows:
- Chair: Heidi G.
- Vice-Chair: Jodi L.
- Treasurer: Andrew K.
- Secretary: Rachel F.
- Jocelyn moved to elect the Westgate Parent Association Executive Slate for the 2018-19 school year; Seconded – Tara. Approved and carried.
7.0 Approval of Volunteers and Church Reps
- Mardina moved to approve the slate of volunteers and church reps for the 2018-19 school year; Seconded – Jocelyn. Approved and carried.
- Meeting adjourned at 8pm
Next meeting: September 19th, 2018