Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., James F. (Staff Rep), Rachel F., Mardina A.
- Welcome and introductions around the table.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
- Heidi moved that the February 13, 2018 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
3.0 Approval of the Agenda
- Heidi moved that the March 14, 2018 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
4.2 Secretary – no report
4.3 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
4.4 Staff Representative report – James F.
- Furniture was installed – building community within the space.
- Google Classroom – James showed us the platform & some of the functions: students upload their assignments; teachers can answer questions online; add grades; easier for teachers to review projects since everything is in the same format.
- This is a tool all teachers & students can use – does not need to be used for every course. Not all assignments can be completed electronically.
- Students will still take notes in class.
- If parents have any concerns about use of new technology, please let James know.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Update on Grade Events
- A note about how we communicate these events – people still confused whether this is for the capital campaign, whether they will be asked for a donation. Please word the emails carefully.
- Grade 12 event February 25 @ Westgate – around 20 people attended.
- Grade 8 event March 11 @ “Across the Board” – 30 people attended.
- Grade 7 event – April
- Grade 10 event – May
- Grade 11 event – June
- Grade 6 event – any time – pool party in June.
5.2 Cookie Dough Fundraiser
- Forms have started to come in – deadline March 20th.
5.3 Staff Appreciation
- Going well; staff appreciate wellness ideas/tasks along with the food.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Staff wish lists
- Spend $10000 on wish lists – will leave enough money in the account going into next year.
- Agreed by consensus:
- Camera for photo club (Helen): $1073.50
- Hosting Mar Elias Students (James): $800
- Standing desks x 2 (Edith & Lori): $1039
- Party Pak – cutlery & containers (Krista & Raya): $300
- Chromebooks (Karina & James): $2750
- JV basketball jerseys (Karl): $1500
- Shelves & baskets for room 217 (Krista): $373
- Office chair (Heidi R.): $230
- 3 art/science tables: $1474
- Book tree (Karina): $500
- Meeting adjourned at 7:47pm.
- Next meeting: Tuesday, April 10th, 2018 – 8:15pm @ Westgate.