Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Wednesday, May 7, 2019
Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., Rachel F., Andrew K., James F. (Staff Rep), Jocelyn T., Mardina A.
· Welcome and introductions around the table.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
· Jodi moved that the March 13, 2019 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jocelyn. Approved and carried.
3.0 Approval of the Agenda
· Andrew moved that the May 7, 2019 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Jocelyn. Approved and carried.
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
· No report
4.2 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
· $10,900 – bank balance
4.3 Staff Representative report (James F.)
· “Thanks” from the staff for the staff appreciation week – it was greatly appreciated.
· James was gone 5 weeks in March/April with the two Middle East trips.
· Retirements – Karl L., Brent M., Greg T. (October)
· Garden Boxes – Jarrett/Pat built them this weekend for classes to use; rain barrels placed around the building.
· Digital report cards – what are people’s reactions?
o Digital is OK as long as the quality of the comments are the same from the teachers. The principal comment at the end is very well received – it can be typed, as long as it still personal.
· Parent/teacher interviews happened in the atrium and school hallways as opposed to the gym. Some liked it – felt it was “warmer”; some did not like the setup. With the new set-up could not see when teachers were free/ready for next appointment. There were lots of cancellations this last time.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Grade Events
· Grade 11 – June 9
· Include grade events in daily bulletin so the kids hear about it and encourage parents to go.
5.2 Report – Staff Appreciation (Jocelyn)
· Parents were great; Staff was very appreciative.
· Parents donated food, flowers, money, time. Volunteers came at 11 to set up food.
· Julie W. helped with decorations – staff room looked very festive & inviting.
· 5 canvas prints were presented Thursday – UV laminate coating. Greg/Ryan helped hang the pictures.
· Parents liked using GoogleDocs to see what was available to sign up. Heidi set up via PA account.
· Note for next year – If parent is not dropping off food/donation at 8:30am, please let grade rep know it will be coming closer to noon.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Review Google Form for parents/guardians to share talents/expertise
· Google Form could be filled out by parents/guardians/friends. A spreadsheet will be populated from the form which will allow for easy sorting.
· Spreadsheet will be available to view (not edit) by Westgate community.
· Will add dropdown boxes for topic so that sheet can be sorted.
· Business sheet; volunteer sheet? Or include a tag so can be sorted by business/volunteer?
o These details and wording will be worked out in a smaller sub-committee.
6.2 Next year’s meeting dates
· Alternating Tuesday/Wednesday – second week of every month.
· First meeting Tuesday, September 17th
· Next meetings: Oct 8 / Nov 13
6.3 Slate of Volunteers/Grade Reps for 2019/2020
· Grade Reps
o Grade 6 – (vacant) – event to take place in January
o Grade 7 – (vacant) – event to take place in February
o Grade 8 – Susan F. – event to take place in March
o Grade 9 – (vacant) – event to take place in November
o Grade 10 – Gord S. – event to take place in April
o Grade 11 – Monica B. – event to take place in May
o Grade 12 – Tara B. – event to take place in October
· Church Reps
o Douglas – Deanna P.
o Hope – Stephen N.-R.
o Sterling – Corrine F. L.
o First – Monica B.
o Sargent – Norinne D.
o Fort Garry – Wendy J.
o Charleswood – Charlotte M.
o Bethel – (vacant)
o Home – (vacant)
o North Kildonan – (vacant)
o Springstein – (vacant)
o Jubilee – (vacant)
o Springfield – (vacant)
· Volunteers for PA jobs:
o Opening program – Norinne D.
o Perogies and Sausage – Jason G.
o Sobeys – Vanessa F., Andrew K.
o Fruit – (vacant)
o Staff Appreciation – Jocelyn T.
6.4 Nominations for 2019/2010
· Heidi will not be part of Westgate community next year – rest of executive stays as is. Looking for a candidate to take over as chair.
· All are approved as follows – Total = $6064:
o Commercial stand mixer (Lindsay) – $2200
o Replacement bladders (Jen) – $290
o Sunroom carpet (Helen) – $716 + plants
o Fridge in staffroom (Charlotte) – $1413
o Music whiteboard (Vic) – $400
o Fidget Toys (Crys) – $45
o Computer (Alexis) – $1000
· Meeting adjourned at 8:17pm.
· Next meeting – AGM: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 – 7pm @ Westgate.