Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., James F. (Staff Rep), Rachel F., Tara M.
• Welcome and introductions around the table.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
• Heidi moved that the March 14, 2018 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
3.0 Approval of the Agenda
• Heidi moved that the May 9, 2018 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
• No report
4.2 Secretary – no report
4.3 Treasurer Report
• Will be discussed when talking about cookie dough fundraiser.
4.4 Staff Representative report (James F.)
• Some building issues continue to be worked on – cooling/heating, elevator. Kids are not bothered by any of this; school as normal for them.
• Student council excited about upcoming school spirit month: “Mayhem”. Dodge ball, noon trivia in atrium, etc.
• Enrollment is lower in Grade 6/7 than expected. New kids joining other grades. Grade 9 will have 3 classes.
• Should PA be connected to safe grade committee? PA liaises with the school regularly and knows who to contact. Would also ensure vendors that have been used in previous years are used again. Something to consider for next year.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Update on Grade Events
• Grade 10 & 11 events planned for May or June.
• Grade 6 will have pool party June 9th at Susan F. house.
• Grade 7 – 50 people/15 families – met at Across the Board, April 15th.
5.2 Cookie Dough Fundraiser
• $1657 profit – low compared to other fundraisers.
• Consider reinstating fruit & cheese next year?
• Next meeting – have a clear idea of the first fundraiser – likely Perogy and Farmer Sausage.
• Put all the ‘money asks’ in one email or document and send to parents in September. Include both PA fundraisers and school fundraisers (cyclothon, workday, bursary banquet). That way they are aware of what will be asked of them throughout the year.
• www.fundingchange.ca – 50/50 fundraising raffle or progressive pot 50/50 raffle
o Attach to each fundraiser – have a winner at the end of each fundraiser?
o Company receives 15% of the profit.
o Would have to discuss with the board to make sure this type of fundraiser would be approved.
5.3 Staff Appreciation (Tara M.)
• All events/weeks went well. Great to have it spread-out over multiple weeks; easier to organize. Nice for families that have kids in multiple grades.
• Enough volunteers for setup, clean-up & food.
• Grade 12 lunch happened in April during an in-service – soup and sandwiches.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Privacy issue regarding minutes on website
• Names in minutes will be first name and first initial of last name – to post on website.
• Will send another set of minutes with full name included.
6.2 P.A. questionnaire for parents
• Skill set questionnaire sent to parents.
• Send online or paper questionnaire – what skills can you offer to the school, some examples.
• Will send questionnaire at the end of September, early October.
• Benefit to the school and community.
• In some cases, the parent can volunteer without having to show up. i.e. able to offer goods or perform services remotely.
6.3 Grade Reps/Volunteers for next year
• Current volunteer slate:
o Perogies & Sausage – Jason G.
o Sobeys – vacant
o Fruit & Cheese – vacant
o Staff appreciation – vacant
o Grade 7 – Susan F.
o Grade 8 – vacant
o Grade 9 – vacant
o Grade 10 – vacant
o Grade 11 – vacant
o Grade 12 – vacant
6.4 Set rough dates for grade events next year
• Grade 9 (new kids) & 12 in fall
• Other grades in new year.
6.5 Nominations for next year’s executive prior to AGM in June
• Executive is leaving their names for nominations
• Email will go out asking for nominations.
• Meeting adjourned at 8:15pm.
• Next meeting & AGM: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 – 7pm @ Westgate.