Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
Present: Norinne D. (Chair), Jodi L., Rachel F., James F. (Staff Rep), Jason G., Marnie H., Laura H., Vanessa E.
- Welcome and introductions around the table.
- Approval of the Minutes
- Jodi moved that the September 19, 2019 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Vanessa. Approved and carried.
- Approval of the Agenda
- Jason moved that the October 8, 2019 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Jodi. Approved and carried.
- Chair/Vice Chair Report (Norinne D./Jodi L.)
- No report – will be covered later in the meeting.
- Treasurer Report
- All is good with the bank account – ~$9000.
- Couple of outstanding bills to be paid from May wish-lists.
- Staff Representative report (James F.)
- Spiritual emphasis week – connected to climate strike.
- 75% of student body attended climate strike activities.
- All chapels have been moved to the choral room.
- Greg T. (building supervisor) is retiring at the end of October.
- Starting this year, yearbooks will be for grade 9-12. Grade 6/7/8 will each have their own memory book.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Grade Events
- Grade 12 – October 27th – corn maze
- Grade 9 – November 9th – mini golf
- Grade 6 – January
- Grade 7 – February
- Grade 8 – March
- Grade 10 – April
- Grade 11 – May
- There is roughly $50 available per grade to pay for picnic site, drinks, etc; Most grades bring food or go to a place where everyone pays their own way.
5.2 Meet the parent/new parent meeting
- Room was packed – 85% of new parents attended.
- Jodi represented the PA.
- Suggestion for next year – Along with the paper with the pictures of the kids in each grade, please also include a sheet with pictures of the teachers.
5.3 Opening program reception
- Hall was full – it was well attended.
- Remind the school that the kids are not supposed to be up in the hall.
- Next year – only need 4 tables. The two tables towards the back were not used much.
- Lots of baking left over – perhaps cut down next year? At the same time, it is used up at cyclathon next day. Important to bring extra trays to transport baking to cyclathon.
- Bethel offered to use china cups this year – and they did the dishes.
- Will recruit parents who attend the September PA meeting to help clean-up from 6:45-7pm. That way all parents/PA members can get to the starting program at 7pm.
5.4 Perogy/Sausage Fundraiser
- Dates will be the same as the September minutes.
- Delivery between 12-1pm – November 14.
- Will need students to help unload the trucks. Will recruit people in the atrium when the trucks arrive.
- Will figure out volunteers closer to the pick-up date.
- Approximately $2200 in sales so far on the online site.
5.5 Staff wish lists
- Wish lists have been sent to staff; will go over the forms at the November meeting.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 New business
- Parent spreadsheet – Will invite Jeff H. to our next meeting to show us how to use the form/output.
- Other fundraisers have come to the attention of PA but we are set for the year.
- Todd D. (Westgate parent) – offered coupon books for sale. We could charge what we want and we would get 100% of the proceeds. He would be donating the books themselves.
- Jensen Nursery gift cards – 15% profit – will be added to gift card fundraiser.
- Should we sell gift cards tied from other local businesses? – Something to be discussed next year.
- December 7th – PA Christmas party – date changed.
- Dates for next meetings:
- January 14th 2020
- February 11th
- March 10
- April 14
- May 12
- June 9
- Meeting adjourned at 8:42pm.
- Next meeting: November 12, 2019 – 7pm @ Westgate.