Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Andrew K., Rachel F., James F. (Staff Rep), Mardina A., Marnie H., Jason G., Gord S., Shaun B., Shirley W., Norinne D.-D.
· Welcome and introductions around the table.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
· Marnie moved that the September 19, 2018 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Norinne. Approved and carried.
3.0 Approval of the Agenda
· Norinne moved that the October 9, 2018 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Marnie. Approved and carried.
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Heidi G./Jodi L.)
· No report
4.2 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
· Online sales – $2700 as of Oct 9
· Biggest sellers – twin pack, cottage cheese, breakfast sausages
· Sobeys gift cards – they changed the fundraising profits: if you raise $20000 you used to get 8%; now it is 6%. For Westgate we would lose roughly $500.
· Will offer Co-op gift cards this year as well. Only valid at 3 grocery stores in city. If $2500 is raised, we get 10%.
· Fundscript – potential but more complex – not easy to set up for the timing of the Sobeys fundraiser. Something to look into next year.
4.3 Staff Representative report – James F.
· Lots of events in September – opening program, new parent dinner, cyclothon. School was busy.
· Thursday, Oct 11 – Capital Campaign Fall Supper
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Review of Opening Program Reception – Norinne D.-D.
· Norinne will continue running the reception until son finishes Grade 12
· 3-4 people to help at the event is ideal.
· Donate baking – Norinne will pick up in the morning at school and bring to Bethel later in the day.
· 20 dozen were donated. Once this amount is reached important to send out email letting people know: “thank you we have enough”.
· Purchased napkins for this year & next year.
· Coffee done by Bethel – and they take care of clean-up.
· Someone from Westgate should be at the table serving coffee – regular vs decaf.
· Greeters at the door to the church directing parents to the reception hall.
· Gluten free cookies will be purchased from a bakery as opposed to a parent donation. Next year – only 1 dozen will be needed.
· Will ask Bethel next year if tables need to be put away after reception since they were set up again later in the evening for a banquet.
5.2 Grade Events
· Grade 12 – October 25. Invite has been sent out. Trivia night at hotel banquet hall; potluck snacks. Will send another reminder.
· Grade 9 in November – Details are being worked out.
5.3 Perogy and Sausage Fundraiser
· Order forms have gone out; Andrew and James worked on the website.
· Extra products have been added.
· Confirmed with companies for delivery on Nov 13.
· Put ingredient list on the website. Will also add a blurb/information about the fundraiser – due date; pick up date.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Wish List Forms
· Will go out October 12; Back November 9; will review and approve at November meeting.
6.2 Sobey’s Fundraiser
· Timeline – Nov 16-29. Have it ready to hand out with the perogy orders.
· Pick up December 8.
· Sobeys – 6% over $20K; 5% for $5000-19999; under $5000 is 2%.
· Will check with Co-op regarding turn-around time – $2500 – 10%
· Save-On Foods? $4000 to get 6%
· Vanessa F. will lead this fundraiser along with Andrew.
· Get any notes/documentation from Shannon.
· Sort/organize & deposit – takes a full day for the organizers.
· Should we consider a different gift card option? Something to consider next year.
6.3 Westgate App
· Is this something we should consider in more detail?
· WMES App – School App – Parents can choose to input their information into the app, i.e. looking for a plumber people can check the app.
· Website is not as secure as an app.
· Bridges both school and PA.
· Apps limited by devices.
· Would have to restructure the website to coordinate with the app; website is hard to navigate via your phone.
· Will discuss again in January.
· Meeting adjourned at 8:00pm.
· Next meeting: Wednesday, November 14th, 2018 – 7pm @ Westgate.