Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Present: Norinne D. (Chair), Jodi L., Rachel F., James F. (Staff Rep), Jocelyn T., Zoe R., Jason G., Marnie H., Laura H., Vanessa E.
- Welcome and introductions around the table.
2.0 Approval of the Minutes
- Jodi moved that the June 12, 2019 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Jocelyn. Approved and carried.
3.0 Approval of the Agenda
- Jodi moved that the September 17, 2019 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Vanessa. Approved and carried.
4.1 Chair/Vice Chair Report (Norinne D./Jodi L.)
- No report
4.2 Treasurer Report
- Crosstown has changed their banking system – Andrew will look into what is needed from the executive.
- Norinne will have to go to Crosstown to get signing authority.
4.3 Staff Representative report (James F.)
- Quite a few applications over the summer and into September – enrollment is higher than it was last year at this time.
- Nice to see in the big classes the maturity in the students – they are listening and engaging in conversations.
- Climate strike – Friday, September 27th. Two pastors spoke to the students this week. Senior High students are encouraged to attend. Please call office to report absence. Junior High students are encouraged to attend with their parents.
- Junior High students are encouraged to attend the Drop Dead Protest at CMHR – Friday, September 20th. Please call office to report absence.
- Administration is working through the parent portal. They appreciate the parents patience as this systems gets up and running.
5.0 Ongoing Business
5.1 Grade Events
- Grade 12 – October
- Grade 9 – November
- Norinne will contact the class reps to let them know about upcoming events.
6.0 Upcoming and New Business
6.1 Opening Program Reception
- Rhea M.-S. will organize this again year.
- Parents will be asked to donate dainties; coffee and tea will be served by the church.
- PA will pay for coffee/tea and service provided by Bethel.
6.2 Perogy and Sausage Fundraiser (Jason G.)
- Winkler Meats & The Country Perogy Shop – costs are the same as last year. Same product list as last year with the exception of dropping one of the wiener types.
- Will make sure order forms are in the same order between paper & online to ease sorting.
- Suggested dates:
- After Cyclathon – email to parents Oct 1st; reminder in weekly email from Lori
- Orders in by October 18th
- Pick-up November 14th
6.3 Meet the Teachers/New Parent evening
- Jodi will attend to represent PA.
6.5 New business
- Email from Purdys Chocolatier regarding fundraising – will decline.
- Peak of the Market fundraiser – carrots/parsnips/onion – 50% profit. Equal amount of work as perogies/sausage – only in fall – can’t do both. Perhaps another year.
- PA Christmas party – December 6th or 7th
- Wishlists requests will be sent to staff in October; will be discussed in November meeting.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:38pm.
- Next meeting: October 8th, 2019 – 7pm @ Westgate.