Westgate Parent Association Meeting
Wednesday, September 13, 2017, Westgate

Present: Heidi G. (Chair), Jodi L., James F. (Staff Rep), Rachel F., Andrew K., Ingrid F., Leni S., Meire Anne T., Trina N., Vanessa F., Trish W., Deb G.
_______________________________________________________________________
1.0 Welcome
• Welcome and introductions around the table.

2.0 Approval of the Minutes
• Jodi moved that the May 10, 2017 minutes be accepted; Seconded – Trina. Approved and carried.

3.0 Approval of the Agenda
• Jodi moved that the May 10, 2017 agenda be accepted; Seconded – Vanessa. Approved and carried.

4.0 Reports

4.1 Chair Report (Heidi G.)
• Momentum Scholarship recipient was Kate Z. (Grade 9). She sent a thank you card to the committee.

4.2 No reports – Vice-Chair/Secretary

4.3 Treasurer Report (Andrew K.)
• Current balance: $18,339.49
• Two fundraisers did better than last year; one did worse. The Momentum fundraiser skews the results last year since it was an added fundraiser.
• Some outstanding invoices to pay: staff appreciation, eCommerce solution, Momentum scholarship.

4.4 Staff Representative report – James F.
• Staff was only given access to the school a few days before the students arrived. The staff worked hard to organize all the boxes and set up their rooms. All their hard work is appreciated.
• They are not doing much with the atrium/common spaces. Want to see how they are being used and design them accordingly. Will likely invite PAC to participate via staff wish-lists.

4.5 Constitution Review – Jodi L.
• A lot of time was spent reviewing the constitution approximately two years ago. And then the build & move to Chapman happened – it was put on hold.
• Parent Council Repositioning Committee was put in place last year – constitution needs to reflect what we do as a committee. Need to write policy manual and job descriptions.
• Will continue to work on the constitution this year along with the changes coming from the Repositioning committee – see point 4.6.

4.6 Parent Council Repositioning Sub-Committee
• Survey is created to send out to parents – how much do they know; what would they like from the committee. Will be sent out next week. Will discuss results at the opening program and the new parents potluck.
• Need parent reps for each grade.
• Grade events – continue doing this through PAC as opposed to capital campaign.
• Need volunteers on this committee to liaise with grade reps & constitution review committee.
• Heidi will approach board to get clarity regarding how she can use the email lists.
• PAC email – all executive will be given access to the email account.

5.0 Upcoming and New Business

5.1 Organizing and defining job descriptions
• There are some descriptions for the executive. Need descriptions for those working on fundraisers, staff appreciation, etc.
• On-going job for the year as the constitution is reviewed and the Repositioning Committee meets; ensure that all roles are divided evenly and clearly defined.

5.2 Meeting on a different day of the week
• October’s meeting is set for October 11th to coincide with the new parent potluck.
• Will try Tuesday in November (21); alternate between Tuesday/Wednesday rest of the year.

5.3 Staff wish lists
• Will be sent out after the October meeting.

5.4 Perogies & Farmer Sausage
• Asked to keep alumni informed of fundraisers. Need alumni email lists – will contact Karl L.. Will also add to the Facebook page – Katrina D..
• Order forms will be sent in the next few weeks.
• Short time frame to get the online/ecommerce solution working for this first fundraiser – see below.

5.5 Online payment system – Andrew
• Andrew will go through training and will connect Trina/Jodi if the ecommerce solution will work for Perogies & Sausage fundraiser.
• There is a 3% charge. Will raise prices to include this cost where possible. Otherwise will disclose to those using the online system.
• Every transaction – email sent to PAC website.
• Requires a shipping address – will default to Westgate.

5.6 Opening program – September 29
• PAC reception with dainties at Bethel Church.
• We will ask families to donate 1-2 dozen dainties/cookes in order to get then into the gym. Last year very few went to the gym since the dainties were provided by Lindsay.
• Bethel Church will take care of coffee/drink service.
• Need a few volunteers to get this organized. PAC committee will help that evening.

5.7 New parent potluck
• Wednesday, October 11th – right before the PA meeting

5.8 Fall Workshop – October 26th
• Suggestion – personal safety – instill confidence as opposed to fear. Agreed we need to find the right person to conduct this workshop. James and Heidi will discuss with Bob.

6.0 Adjournment
• Meeting adjourned at 8:45pm.
• Next meeting: Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 – 7pm @ Westgate.